Our Online Graduate Certificate in Safety Management is intended to give graduate students and professionals a foundation in safety management coursework at the graduate level. If your professional goals include career advancement in occupational safety and expanding your professional network, we encourage you to apply. The programs accommodate a wide range of academic backgrounds and career experience.
Why earn a Certificate in Safety Management?
A certificate in safety management can elevate your career to the next step. Safety professionals frequently have responsibility for a variety of functions, and our certificate program provides training in the four critical areas of safety management. Some of the major functions performed by graduates include safety training, accident investigation, audits and inspections, hazard analysis, fire protection, compliance, machine guarding, and emergency preparedness. According to a recent survey of American Society of Safety Engineers members, the largest employer groups are manufacturing, construction, consulting firms, insurance, service industries, health care, transportation, utilities, and nonprofit and government organizations. Typical job titles include safety manager, safety director, safety specialist, and safety and health coordinator.
Who can earn a Certificate?
The Certificate is designed for:
- Already employed professionals interested in advancing their career working in the field of occupational safety and health.
- Graduate students who are preparing for careers in safety and public health.
- Candidates for graduate degrees in the basic and applied science fields who are interested in the study of safety, loss control, government, risk management, engineering, training, industrial hygiene, emergency management.
Program of Study
- Our online program enables working professionals and students from other disciplines to earn a Certificate in Safety Management anytime, anywhere.
- Our students enjoy the benefits of earning a valuable credential from a leading, accredited School of Public Health while working or studying. Admissions standards recognize the value of career experiences and progression.
- The program is designed to be completed in one year and requires a minimum of 12 credit hours.
- Throughout the course work for this graduate certificate, students will learn how to facilitate the delivery of effective safety education and training, use analytical methods to determine and manage risk, and evaluate and control workplace hazards.
- Graduates will be prepared to develop, implement, and evaluate safety and health programs.
- Our courses are taught by leading faculty in the School of Public Health and students have access to the same hands-on student services available to on-campus students.
Online Graduate Certificate
Graduates of the program will be able to:
- Facilitate the delivery of effective safety education & training.
- Utilize analytical methods to determine safety and health risks and manage risk accordingly.
- Recognize, evaluate and control workplace hazards.
- Develop, implement and evaluate safety & health program elements.
Online Graduate Certificate Courses
Suggested schedule of online courses for the certificate program:
Instructional Strategies for Safety Education
Occupational Risk Management
Safety Mgmt: Business & Industry
Managing Occupational Health Program
For the most up to date information, please check the following links:
Interested in earning a graduate certificate in Safety Management? Contact, the faculty advisor for the graduate certificate program. We're looking forward to meeting you and discussing your interest in courses in safety.
Follow this link, if you would like to find out more about Online Programs and Courses offered by the School of Public Health